Poison Ivy


Poison ivy contains an oil called urushiol, which creates an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with the skin. Allergic reaction seldom occurs the first time urushiol touches the skin, but with repeated exposure sensitivity develops. Sensitivity to poison ivy varies and tends to decline with age. If an allergic reaction develops, wash the skin with lukewarm water and soap. If the reaction is severe, contact a dermatologist as a treatment might be needed to reduce the swelling and itch.


  • Recognize and avoid contact with the plant
  • Wear long pants, long sleeves, boots, and gloves when it is not possible to avoid the plant
  • Apply an over-the-counter skin barrier product that contains bentoquatum before going outdoors. Bentoquatum helps prevent urushiol from penetrating the skin.